Saturday, February 13, 2010

Today's Face

As I sit here looking out the window at the detritus of this week's record shattering snowstorm, I can not be deterred from girlying myself up. Well, I also have to make up for spending yesterday in my jammies and not even brushing my hair  ;-) So I'm expected to be tarted up a little anyway since I did have to come back to work today, but because the roads are still covered in panic inducing ice and snow and slush (this IS Texas, people lose their minds when this happens) I have plenty of time to play makeup and write about it!

So on my luscious lips, making them even more lusciousser- yes I am aware that's not a word- 

 

MARY KAY SIGNATURE LIP LINER IN RED

hMMMM. I've been wearing a lot of red lips recently. I think it's the weather, makes me wanna have some pop. I really like MK liners. They go on smooth and creamy and don't create such a harsh line that you have ghetto lip liner mouth. They also are non staining, so if you screw up you can wipe your line off and redo it without lip liner ghost. This also makes it easy to try a few different line styles to see what lip shape goes best with what you're going for that day. 

FANTASY MAKERS GEISHA'S KISS 

Yep, made by that Wet N Wild. So don't lick your lips, cause it was made in China and you might die. Oh, Wet N Wild, the makeup purveyors of my youth. Bonne Bell, Noxcema and Wet N Wild..... Oh, and remember peel off nail polish? But I  digress. Wet N Wild actually makes some suprisingly dependable lippies. I don't buy their stuff anymore on too regular a basis, but the Fantasy Makers line that gets put out every Halloween is always fabu and seems to be of slightly higher quality than their standard line, perhaps because it's more pigmented to be used as costume makeup. They released this simultaneously as Geisha's Kiss as well as Goth Red and it's a deep blue red that to me actually seems more like 40's starlet. Yesterday I watched Laura Dern in the movie Focus based on the novel by Arthur Miller (great movie by the way, but sometimes painful to watch) and I recreated her lips today with the above liner and this lip color. I feel like I need a big hat and some chunky high heels instead of polka dotted galoshes and embroidered and bedazzled pants.

ULTA PURE MINERAL FINISHING POWDER
Pretty darn good finishing powder! Made with pure minerals and no talc. Glad to see Ulta hopping on the bandwagon! This powder goes on evenly and gives the skin a nice glow where you need it and shine blotting where you don't- need a glow, that is. Doesn't go on chunky or overthick. I just wish the case was made a little better, this is my second jar and the lid cracked on both of them before I finished the product. 

ELIZABETH ARDEN SMOKY EYES LINER IN SMOKY BLACK 

Argh, this is a mixed bag. 
Pros: 
Ophthalmologist-tested and fragrance free, so my eyes don't get irritated and watery.
So creamy that it doesn't tug on my skin at all during application. 
So easy to smudge that you can do a smoky eye in your sleep.


Cons:
So easy to smudge that you can do a smoky everything else too- smoky cheeks, fingers, hell, I've found it on my nose before.
So easy to smudge that I can't use it on my top lid ever, even with the best primers on the market. It IMMEDIATELYtransfers all over the rest of my lid. 
I have to keep an eye on it all day because as it starts to creep about I can get that 'I fell asleep drunk in my makeup' look.


It's a shame, cause I generally like their products, but this liner is so high maintenance!Also, it's really difficult to sharpen cause the liner tip keeps wanting to smush off as you sharpen. Eh, if someone gives you one for free don't throw it away, but I wouldn't drive to my nearest Elizabeth Arden counter this nanosecond either.

CHRISTIAN DIOR NAVY EYESHADOW COMPACT

















Nothing sets off 99 cent lipstick like 58 buck eyeshadow! Seriously though, the light shimmery hues in this really do compliment the bright red lips. I LOVELOVELOVE Dior shadows for their staying power, true colors, lack of shadow fallout, and how little you need to use. Seriously, I have Dior palettes that are like 5 years old and aren't even showing pan bottom yet. And no I'm not that gross, I do have makeup cleaner sprays that kill bacteria. 

E.L.F. FIVE PIECE PROFESSIONAL BRUSH KIT
I keep this set in my personal drawer at work. It's not super high end brushes, but they do the trick and the roll up case is perfect for keeping them seperated but organized. If someone ransacks my stuff, I can replace it cheap, but they're good enough quality that I'm happy with the job they do. My lash/brow brush tip came off, but I was able to glue it back on easily and it's stayed put since. Compact, portable and useful, so a good bang for your buck. As far as being "professional" I might beg to differ, but at least they're soft and don't have horrific bristle shedding. And I quite like the liner brush, actually.

EARTH'S BEAUTY MASCARA IN SOFT BLACK
I  heard about these guys thanks to the All Natural Beauty Mall. I really love this mascara on those days when my allergies are all wonky. This is a chemical free mascara, so there's nothing screwing with your eyes. You do have to use it as soon as you open it as it doesn't have preservatives in it, but quite frankly , shouldn't ALL mascara have an expiration date on it? At least these guys are honest about it! The travel size is perfect for the purse (or work makeup bag) and actually has a good wand, unlike lots of mini mascaras. I've only used the travel size so I can't vouch for their standard brush, but this one seperates the lashes really well and there is no clumping. It is a very subtle mascara, no looking like you've got showgirl lashes here, but it's good for when you're being toned down or (in my case today) don't want your eyes competing for attention with your lips but you still want to accentuate them.With a lash curler you can oomph it out though. They also offer samples of ALL of their products for a $1.00 each, so you can try 'em out! Can't beat that! 

No comments: