Monday, February 8, 2010

Look Inside My Pretty Pink Box! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

My Pretty Pink Box is a wonderful monthly sampler program that lets you try new products from smaller companies you may have never heard of before. You don't sign up for auto ships, you just order when they become available each month. If you request it, you will get an email reminder when they go on sale, and believe you me it helps. These puppies sell out super quick, especially since people like me (and you?) are spreading the word and catching on to what a great program this is! There's always a few full sized items along with smaller samples to whet your appetite.You never know exactly what you'll get, but the site does let you know who that month's participants are and what they're contributing. (You'll receive some but not all of the items.) I've gotten I guess 4 of these now and each month it's like getting a little present for myself without all the financial suicide guilt.
         The items really do come in a pretty pink box and often the individual retailers will package their products in cute little drawstring bags which are perfect for reusing for other purposes. So what was in my most recent Pretty Pink Box?

SIMPLY STYLIN' SILK SILICONE SERUM
4 OZ BOTTLE 
This is a FULL SIZE bottle (retails $15.00)
This is a lightweight silicone hair serum that smells wonderful and makes your hair super silky and shiny. I have very fine hair that gets greezier than Cooter after a lube job, so I was apprehensive to try it at first, but with the previously mentioned winter psycho overheating, my hair keeps getting so electrically charged that you could power a small car by having me touch it's battery. The trick is to use a weeny gumbitty bit and not get it on your roots. My hair feels like satin and I don't have tiny little hairs adhering to my face. I read that it's also fabu for putting in your hair in the shower for detangling, so I'll have to give it a try after one of my insomnia nights that gives me bird nest hair. Update: This now sits on the ledge of my tub so I can use it regularly for detangling. It works wonderfully! I wet my hair then add this to my hair and comb through, then shampoo. It lets me become tangle free without ripping and breaking my hair, and the silicone leaves my hair shiny and silky. My hair is so long that it tangles easily and this stuff has simplified my life so much! 
Here's what a dime sized bit did to my Crystal Gayle length hair:


So silky! Wheeeee!
They can be found at Simply Stylin' Hair Serum

KOKOKAHN COCONUT ORANGE LIP BALM
4g tube full size (retail $4.95)




Wow! This lip balm is so moisturizing that I put it on over 3 hours ago and my lips still feel juicy and moist despite having been sipping on a bottle of water for the last few hours. It's not at all 'chunky' feeling. Know what I mean? Whena lip balm is so waxy it feels like it's just sitting on top of your lips? Handcrafted of organic ingredients and a subtle yummy flavor. Even when I added a mineral lip color to it, it still felt smooth and creamy, as well as providing a wonderful base for the color which created a lovely natural look.
Lippy Balm

PURUS COSMETICS SHALINER
.08 oz sample packet in Teal Talent


This is definitely for those who like highly pigmented color, which lucky for me I do! A super smooth blended mineral eye color for the "look at me" set. On top of eyeshadow primer it pops right off my face! Usually to get a color this intense, you really have to layer it on thick, but with one brush I got my full peacock on! I realize not everyone is into the brights like I am but for me this is super duper. A girlfriend of mine borrowed some shadow to get ready for a party we were going to and was worried that her one swipe with one shade of yellow was too much, while I had about 87 colors blended into a Warhol-esque swirl of neon obnoxiousness. Different strokes for different folks ;-) Excellent for the clubbing, Burner or nightlife crowd. They describe it as a "creamy mineral" and what's super cool is that you can get samples of any of their shades to check 'em out!
Purus Cosmetics

SASSY MINERALS EYE CANDY SHIMMER
1 gr jar in Fashionista full size (retail $4.25)




The picture does not do this stuff justice. i have used Sassy Minerals before, and their shimmers are so shimmery that the husband was fascinated by it. I rubbed some on my hands and we were mesmerized by the multihues sparkles it left behind. He even suggested I coat myself in it some time just for fun! (Okay, so we do get a little silly sometimes....) I see blues, greens, pinks, and silvers, making this a gorgeous color for almost any eye color. On me, the blue and green sparkles really make my blue green eyes go kapow. It's a really long lasting color and has little cheek fallout when you apply it (though somehow I do have little sparklys. I actually like to put it on my eyebrows as an unexpected brow shadow with a glam glitz. Twinkle twinkle little brows......
sassy minerals

BEAUTE MINERAL ALLURING EYES MINERAL EYE COLOR
1 GR JAR FULL SIZE (RETAIL $5.00) 
Persephone from the Limited Edition Goddess Enchantment Collection


This is another case of the color swatch not nearly doing the product justice. This is a subtle shimmer that highlights and blends beautifully - in fact I've used it with the other 2 shadow colors above with lovely results. It's got this pearly sheen to it, but it isn't disco ball like the Sassy Minerals which is why I like pairing them. It also works great to mute down BOINNNNNG colors if you're not into the supercalifragilistic thing like I am. Handcrafted and blended in small batches with minerals only- no fillers or colorants. If you go to their website to order and use the code LPBFREE you'll get a free lip balm with your order.
Beaute Mineral


And last but certainly not least:
JENUINE BEAUTY PURE MINERAL MAKEUP SAMPLE SET
Mineral Cream Concealer /sample size in Fair
I had absolutely no idea that a mineral cream could work so well! I don't know if I just lucked out on receiving the perfect colors for my skin tone or if at some time I let Linda at My Pretty Pink Box know I was an albino, but I plan on buying a full sized container of this stuff. This is perfect for my "For fair skin with blue/red "cool" undertones" and covered up a little blemish without multiples layers or giving that caked on look. In fact, you can't even tell there's anything there at all! It's made with jojoba oil which is a natural anti-inflammatory, which I suppose is why you don't need much to cover a blemish since it reduces the red naturally.

Mineral Powder Foundation/ sample size in Ivory
Another perfect color for me! As they say on their website "Jenuine Beauty mineral foundation gives silky smooth coverage that lasts all day (and night) without clogging the pores. It has an estimated SPF 20 and is water and sweat proof." Your typical liquid foundations with SPF make me feel like I have an inch thick spackle on my face and no matter how well I blend, I still feel like I have a mask on. I love that mineral foundations give you the same protection without the Halloween mask! Now just because I'm hyping the colors I got doesn't mean they don't have others. In fact, they seem to really have it parsed down to a science. This stuff is lovely and I feel like I don't have anything on my face at all, as if I just woke up with such perfect even skin. Added bonus, no need to put a layer of powder on after your foundation! Whoo hoo! lazy gal points!

Mineral Lip/Blush in Midsummer Rose
8gr jar, full size (retail $14.50)




Just what it says, a mineral makeup that is equally at home on your cheeks as on your lips. I mixed mine on top of my Kokokahn balm for a natural tint that seems to look a bit more orangey on my lips than on my cheeks, but coordinates in a way so that it goes together without being all belt and shoes matchy-matchy. If you order from their site and use the code ilovemymakeup46900 you'll receive 25% off!
Jenuine Beauty

Now here's the kicker- I got all of this for $11.99 + shipping! The box is a different price each month depending on the participants, but it's always in this range. 


.
SO GET YOUR TODAY!
My Pretty Pink Box

2 comments:

Amy @ Beaute Mineral said...

Thank you for the nice write-up about our product (and all the goodies you received). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Persephone eye color. :)

The Beauty Pirate said...

I'm glad to see that you guys care enough about your products to find reviews like mine! Keep up the good work and I'll keep giving you good reviews!