Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Good Morning, Sunshines!

I wonder if Activia yogurt is as good for you for breakfast if you also have a few handfuls of Fiddle Faddle? Does the Fiddle Faddle negate the Activia Challenge? I digress. 

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer 
is oil free, so it works for both dry skin and oily skin. If you have oily skin, the primer will keep your face grease from mixing with your foundation and changing it's color or making it slide off. If you have dry skin it will keep the powder ingredients in your makeup from sinking into pores or fine lines and holds in your skin's moisture. This formula lokos like a cream, but seems to transform into a gel as you smooth it on. I find this one to be most effective if you ignore the "apply liberally" directive and use a light touch- just enough to cover the skin but not so much that it doesn't 'settle in'. According to L. Hawkins on Amazon;
"How is Laura's Foundation Primer more than just a primer?
Laura's primer contains "unique light-reflecting ingredients" which create a "soft-focus appearance." This soft focus causes fine lines and imperfections to smooth over as well as gives skin a soft, luminous, and healthy looking glow. Not just for under foundation, in fact Laura considers Foundation Primer a must for non-foundation wearers. The same soft focus appearance makes bare skin look beautiful and naturally flawless. Top with a little Loose Setting Powder and you have a smooth and luminous, beautiful and natural, barefaced look.

This Primer also has added skin care benefits to improve the skin's appearance. Potent antioxidants Vitamins A, C, and E help protect skin from the harmful and dramatically aging effects of the environment. Foundation Primer also contains botanicals such as lavender, orange, jasmine, rose, geranium, grape, kiwi and aloe extracts to soothe and refresh the skin."
I learned a cool tip too- store your primer in the fridge and it will work even better to tighten pores, refresh your skin, reduce redness and puffiness, and in the summer will feel faboo! I will say that the one thing I do not like about this primer is the scent. Luckily it dissipates rapidly so it's really a moot point.
Philosophy Big Mouth Semi-Matte Lip Primer is actually a cross between a plumping balm and a primer. It has a bit of tingle upon application, but not a strong sting-ey one. now Duwop Venom, that stuff'll put hair on your chest, but this one is pretty subtle. I think this may have actually been Philosophy's answer to Venom and would probably be preferred by those who like Venom's effect but not it's bite. It can be worn alone for a natural enhanced lip or under lipstick or gloss. It seems to fill out the lip more than actually plump it, if that makes sense. My lips don't look bigger, but they seem to have more, um, juice in them. i guess that would be plumping, huh? Leave me alone, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet! Anyway, it also brings out the natural color of the lips. As an actual primer, I find that it does seem to lessen the impact of lighter lip colors, which kinda negates the point, but if you just want something to enhance your pout this stuff works well. Actually, if you want to tone down a super bright color, then this is perfect. 
It does keep your lips moist a lot longer and I like to wear it with a colored gloss for a subtle but sensual mouth. 

Disconcerting afterthought: They warn you on the box that the product can be transferred and to avoid kissing people. Ummmm, so what's it gonna do to me if I'm on purpose putting it on arguably the most porous skin on my body? I'm going to optimistically assume that since it's Philosophy and they pride themselves on their natural and healthful ingredients that they are merely concerned that you will startle people if their lips get all tingly. 
Side note- it freaks me out when people cough into their hand while holding something that they will then hand to me. Is it rude of me to look afraid to take said object? Part of being beautiful is to stay healthy and not give your funk to innocent bystanders! Cough on your sleeve, disease carrier! 

Ben Nye Lip Color Pencils are an old friend of mine. let's hop into The Wayback Machine to see when I first started using Ben Nye. I was in a children's acting troupe in the fifth grade. Ben Nye managed to make a fifth grader look like a fifty year old for A Thief In The House. Seriously, I have a photo from the play and when I show it to people they don't recognize that it's A: me or B: a small child. This stuff is serious! Ben Nye first started as a makeup artist back in Ye Olde Hollywoode.

Ben Nye

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benjamin Emmet Nye, Sr. (January 12, 1907 in Fremont, Nebraska – February 9, 1986 in Santa Monica, California) was a renowned makeup artist for the Hollywood film industry for over four decades, from the 1930s to the early 1980s. He worked for such films as Gone with the Wind (1939), Miracle on 34th Street (1947), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), The King and I (1956), The Fly (1958), and Planet of the Apes (1968).
His brother was actor Carroll Nye, best remembered today as Frank Kennedy, Scarlett second husband in Gone with the Wind (1939).
A great legacy, a great lip pencil. This stuff is made to last under grueling conditions. If this lip pencil can keep my pucker pretty under stage lights for two hours, it can certainly handle a yogurt cup. These pencils are creamy, blendable and bold. When I was in high school, I used Nye pencils to draw on my face and the designs lasted all day (yeah, I was a "rebel"). Today I used the Plum color to fill in my lips on top of the primer to add some extra color. Now I have that bee-stung, just bitten thing going on. 
CoverGirl Clean Makeup  by Noxema.... Remember that jingle. They don't even use the word Noxema anywhere on the bottle now. The youngins will have no idea what I'm talking about.... Just like the loose powder, this is cheap, reliable, and looks good. I use Ivory 105 and it blends flawlessly, particularly with a primer. It's a classic for a reason! And while the name Noxema is gone, the intoxicating (to me anyway) smell is still there. Of course, lots of people don't like to have their foundation smell like medicinal high school-era fac cleaning goop, but I have a nostalgia for it. My only complaints are

A: No spf. I can use this for night, but if I want to have it on in the day I have to be sure and use a moisturizer with  an spf. This might be one of the reasons why it goes on so light and sheer though, and  after dark an spf foundation is a waste anyway.


B: If I'm having one of my 'red face' days, it's too sheer to hide it, so I have to use a concealer.
 


Physicians-Formula-Organic-Finishing-Veil inTranslucent
A 100% natural origin powder veil, formulated with 24.9% certified organic ingredients, including safflower seed oil and jojoba seed oil to moisturize the skin.
This was the very first mineral finishing veil I ever saw in a drugstore. Props for that! I was blown away by the packaging and still appreciate it. There's a mirror on the cap and a screw on top with a flow through to the the brush so you can carry it with you for touch ups without it getting everywhere. I do usually take the top off and dip  the brush in directly for shiny nose, but as long as you keep the flow-hole (?) clear it works great. Not as good on the actual product front as the non-drugstore brands, but the price is good and it's a great alternative to gunky pressed powder. The brush is goat hair, which might freak some people, but I'm going to hope that since this is being pushed as an organic line they'd harvest the hair in a humane fashion. I like that I can carry this with me like a compact but I get the effect of a loose powder. And the translucent really is just that, so it works on most skin tones. 
Maybelline-ExpertWear-Liner-Medium-Brown 
is a good all purpose pencil. I like that it works equally well as a brow pencil and an eye pencil.Cheap, convenient, and easy to find. I'll be honest here, I actually would take one of these over my previously slammed Elizabeth Arden pencil in a heartbeat. As a brow pencil, this color has a light reddish undertone that is perfect for my red hair, and the color really accentuates the eyes when used as a liner, giving the appearance of more roundness (great for my squinty eyes.)

Unfortunately, it does pull on the skin more than I would like, but once it's on it does not budge all day. 
I've said it before and I'll say it again- Christian Dior Shadows are the bomb diggity bomb. 
Excellent color payoff, absolutely no fallout, applies like velvet, and always looks elegant. Their shimmers are poised instead of teenagerish and I truly feel like an adult when I wear it. Granted, this is coming from someone who truly admires the beauty of hot pink mascara, but even I have to play grown up sometimes!
Allrighty then. Remember that Ben Nye lip pencil? Well, I just ate an apple and my lips are still fairly tinted. Just FYI.  

Lancome-Virtuose-Divine-Lasting-Mascara in Noir 
is the mascara that I'd name as my favorite ever if you put a gun to my head. You know, those crazy chicks from Vogue that go around pulling guns on makeup bloggers? You didn't hear about that? It was all over the news. I'm joking, please no one sue me. The curved brush curls and extends the lashes and if you put on a coupla coats you look like you're wearing false eyelashes! The curling effect starts to wane after the tube's been open a while, but that's about the time to throw it away anyway. Now if you use lash primer first, your lashes will be toucing the top of your head with this stuff. Again, exaggerating somewhat!
Lancome Star Bronzer in Solaire  gives a gorgeous kiss of healthy color without being so dark that it looks freaky on palefaces. It's the lightest of the bronzers in this collection and I love how it gives a glow without even really changing the color of my skin much. I apply it to the apples of my cheeks and my chin and I look much less pasty without it being too much. 
And as for being smelly today? I'm getting some more mileageout of  AVON-In-The-Clouds-NATURAL-REACTIONS-Toilette-Spray, which is discontinued, but you can get it from the above link off of Ebay. It smells clean and pretty and has good staying power. Oddly, I really like the way this smells in my hair. Reminds me of a just bathed baby.  

No comments: