Monday, February 27, 2012

My Glam VS. Beauty Army - 1,2,3 FIGHT!

On the same day I heard about 2 new beauty subscription services. I'm sure it's clear by now that I'm a subscription crackhead, so I had to give 'em both a try. One I've been wowed by two months in a row. The other...... not so much. 


My Glam is $10 a month, so I'm not losing sleep over my disappointment with their service, but still. Their December and January kits looked AWESOME- I was like a kid waiting for Santa to come. Seems I'm not the only one let down by this month's package. I have seen maybe ONE positive review of the current shipment. I'm going to give them another month to prove themselves. First of all- WHY have me take a quiz to "personalize" my kit when everyone gets the exact same thing no matter what? WHY ship everything in a makeup bag every month? How many tiny makeup bags do I need? I'd rather have another beauty item. WHY have almost everything enclosed be something I can get at Walgreens? And finally WHY count a "gift certificate" that requires me to spend fifty to a hundred bucks as a kit inclusion? On top of that, they charged my card at the beginning of January but didn't ship me anything until mid February. On the day I got my first My Glam kit, I got my SECOND Beauty Army, and I signed up for them on the same day.



Beauty Army is two dollars more, but big whoop. Their customer service is INCREDIBLE (they email you the tracking info when it goes out, then send you a second email the day before it's set to arrive). You get to choose 6 different items out a pick of 9, or you can have them curate your kit for you. You take a quiz to determine what products you're offered, and they actually give everyone different choices! (ahem, Myglam....) The product choices are comprised of high end and luxury brands so you're really getting a chance to try out pricey items to see if they float your boat before selling the farm. All in all, I'm THRILLED. let's just say that right now Birchbox better watch out, cause these guys might just kick your ass.
 When I made my video I accidentally left out this pumpkin fleur de sel scrub, so I have to tell you that this might be one of the most fabulous things to ever touch my body. 

3 comments:

The Rainbow Zebra said...

Great post!

Ok, I like MyGlam, and I've gotten 2 of those and 2 of the Beauty Army. I'm a sub box addict as well ;)

Many charge you a month ahead. And I don't mind getting the same thing as everyone--esp when I was displeased with Birchbox (I was getting stuff I could get free from Sephora).

I am going to have to cancel a few (and there are still a few I want to try) but so far I'm happy with MyGlam. I figure I can use the extra bags when sending out gifts. The one this month was SO CUTE!

I'm on the fence about Beauty Army. I like it but not sure I LOVE it. Ahhhh so hard, they are addicting!

The Beauty Pirate said...

Thanks! Well, i'm giving MyGlam another shot, I was just so excited because their first two bags looked so awesome, and then by the time i got mine it was a real letdown. They sent out an email recently, saying they got overwhelmed and were planning on revamping a bit to go back to the original quality, so I'm holding out hope. What I like about Beauty Army is that it so customized for my needs and wants, and all of the samples I've gotten were extremely high end products. I did a full year sub on that after i got my first two kits, so I'm paid up and can forget about it :-)

The Beauty Pirate said...

Thanks! Well, i'm giving MyGlam another shot, I was just so excited because their first two bags looked so awesome, and then by the time i got mine it was a real letdown. They sent out an email recently, saying they got overwhelmed and were planning on revamping a bit to go back to the original quality, so I'm holding out hope. What I like about Beauty Army is that it so customized for my needs and wants, and all of the samples I've gotten were extremely high end products. I did a full year sub on that after i got my first two kits, so I'm paid up and can forget about it :-)