Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Scents And Scentsibility (And Sea Monsters)

Tova Body Mind & Spirit


"Admit it, you've got a playful, youthful side. Let others in on your secret with this spirited and romantic eau de parfum. The floral fragrance harmoniously blends white roses, lily of the valley, jasmine, and heliotrope with a hint of amber and apricot."

I quite like this one. The low notes of amber balance out the floral tones and the fruity apricot keeps it from being too cloyingly floral. As it dries down, the amber becomes more predominant leaving just the tiniest trace of florals. It lasts all day, too. (Just be careful not to overdo it when you first put it on- it starts out strong and the florals can be overwhelming if you soak yourself in it.)




Roberto Verino Gold   
Eau du Parfum
Body Lotion
Body Wash

Roberto Verino has launched Roberto Verino Gold, a new woody floriental fragrance for women. Gold is for the woman who is “naturally elegant, without showing off, but with the charming aloofness of one who is effortlessly stylish”.
Gold was developed by perfumer Olivier Polge; the notes include bergamot, gardenia, rose, jasmine, orris root, white peony, sandalwood, tonka bean, patchouli, musk and white amber.

This is my current signature scent. I like to layer it, but it has enough staying power that just the eau du parfum will stick around all night. (I do think of this as an 'evening' scent.) I have rarely smelled something that so entranced me and made me think "ME IN A BOTTLE!" To me this is absolutely perfect. I will keep a bottle of this around until I die. I had never even heard of it before, but I was at a scent event at Dillards and when introduced to this, I basically just stood there stunned, smelling myself. There was no "oh, this is nice...", just "MINE MINE MINE!!!!!" Wedding announcements will be in the mail. 


Gucci Flora Eau de Toilette

Notes:
Citrus Accord, Peony, Rose, Osmanthus Flower, Pink Pepper, Sandalwood.
Style:
Elegant. Natural. Spontaneous.

This does manage to be both elegant and natural at the same time. Don't know how they pulled off sophisticated and casual in the same scent, but when I wear it, I feel like a socialite going to spend the day on someone's yacht. I wore it to an art walk and felt like someone who could actually afford to buy something.

Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea eau de toilette
The scent of violets mingling with sweet pea petals is heaven on earth, and the inspiration for this delicate fragrance.
Fragrance Top Notes: Sweet Pea, Watery Pear, Logan Berry, Rhubarb; Fragrance Mid Notes: Cyclamen, Freesia, Raspberry; Fragrance Base Notes: Musk
Bluch. I don't know where they're smelling musk, but all I smell is sickeningly sweet floral that reminds me of something you'd give a little girl for play perfume. Thank goodness the smell evaporates so quickly or I would have had to take a shower. I'd maybe like this scent in a hand lotion or a candle, but in a perfume it's just way too much. I felt like I could actually taste it. And not in a good way. Normally I love B&BW, but they lost me on this one.


Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette


Light Blue
A stunning perfume, overwhelming and irresistible like the joy of living. Surprising and colored: the liveliness of Sicilian citron, the happiness of Granny Smith apple, the spontaneity of bluebells. Feminine and resolute: the intensity of jasmine, the freshness of bamboo, the charm of white rose. Deep and true: the character of cedarwood, the fullness of amber, the embrace of musk.

Notes:
Sicilian Citron, Bluebell, Granny Smith Apple, Jasmine Sambac, Bamboo, White Rose, Cedarwood, Amber, Musk.

I really adore this sophisticated, playful scent. It's mildly sweet, but more fruity than floral, and with a depth and undertone that grounds it and keeps it from being nauseating or overly childish. So why oh why does the smell have to fade so astoundingly quickly? WHAHHHH! I want to wholeheartedly recommend it, but it fades so quickly on me. Next time you're at the mall or Sephora or what have you, seek it out and give yourself a spritz. I know different people's body chemistry burns through scents differently, so maybe it won't do it to you. I did find (through a sampler that I haven't reviewed yet) an Etsy seller called Kopycat Fragrances I believe, and the sample of another scent I got from them was dead on- they have a version of this, so I'm going to try it and see what I think. It's made with oils, so it might last longer on me.


Stella Nude Eau de Toilette
STELLA NUDE reimagines the classic rose blossom to create a more intimate moment. The fragrance opens with the sensual scents of Moroccan Rose, infused with a fresh hint of grapefruit. As the fragrance reveals itself on the skin, floral heart notes of tender white peony bloom. The striking, feminine scent is invigorated with a spicy hint of pink pepper. STELLANUDE’s dry notes of Ugandan vanilla and intriguing Grey Amber combine to create a seductive base.
This is a very sexy scent, but a very quiet one. Subtle. Smells great when you're,um, nekkid. Like lingerie in a bottle. Not what you'd put on for a wow zinger night out- more of a quiet night in kind of scent. Now I didn't say a quiet night in alone..... One of those scents meant for just the person who's sniffin ya to catch.




Harajuku Lovers G  
Rocks my world!

G
Never one to get lost in the crowd, G leads her crew in a white, corseted top and a blue miniskirt รก la Alice in Wonderland. Quirky, unique, and undeniably cool, G is the leader of the pack. Her scent is an oriental, fruity, gourmand fragrance with notes of fresh coconut, jasmine, and cotton woods.

Notes:
Mandarin, Coconut, Apple Skin, Jasmine Sambac, Freesia, Magnolia, Coconut Cream, White Sandalwood, and Cottonwoods
Style:
Tropical. Sunny. Distinctive

 Apparently I'm a fan of the oriental fruity gourmand, cause this one makes me wanna go roller skating. When I wear this I keep snurflin on myself. And seriously- it really does make me want to go roller skating.


 Prada  Infusion D'Iris Eau de Parfum 

This one is a very clean floral, not a sticky one. Grown up floral, not kiddie or old lady- just grown up. A good daytime scent that is subtle enough for work but still has a touch of classy sensuality.
They say:
INFUSION D' IRIS is like a dream, an Italian voyage, an ambiance, the smell of soap, the clean scent of crisp linen sheets, and naked skin. It combines classic, exceptional quality ingredients from Italy such as the Iris Pallida from Florence and the warm top note glow of Sicilian mandarin. It expresses itself through its contrast between a great freshness and apparent lightness and a type of tender veil, sensual, and strong, that envelops the body and the clothing of the woman who wears the fragrance.
And yep, that about hits it on the head!


Donna Karan Cashmere Mist Eau de Parfum
Deodorant/ Anti Perspirant

Why do I ADORE the deodorant so much but can take or leave the perfume? I have a coworker who loves the perfume on me, but what really blows my mind is the deodorant. They actually don't smell like the same scent to me! Not only is the deo crazy effective, but it makes people want to actually ON PURPOSE smell your armpits! I try to go natural on the pits when I can, but sometimes I know I'll need more and this is perfect. Going out to boogie the night away? Got a hot date? This stuff rocks. And the deo lasts a year and a day!
Inspired by the soft, sensual feeling of cashmere against bare skin. Cashmere Mist is a fragrance light enough to wear all over your body, all year long. It seduces the senses - skin, scent, and spirit.Notes: Lily of the Valley, Suede Notes, Bergamot, Ylang, Jasmine Maroc, Sandalwood, Orris, Amber, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Musk.Style: Sensual. Intimate. Soft.














Bath & Body Works Cherry Blossom Eau de Toilette
Not to be confused with the Japanese Cherry Blossom, which is a much richer, more complex scent. This is lighter without the oriental undertones. more of a day to day scent, or casual- going to the movies with your girlfriends, not a hottie. Nice, but nothing special.










 Michael Kors Very Hollywood

Oddly, the first few times I wore this, I was on the fence. I thought it smelled nice, but it didn't really blow me away. Then something weird happened and I got a new tester of it and it didn't even seem the same scent to me. Maybe my first one was a bad batch? Now I can't get enough. 

Make a glamorous escape with Michael Kors Very Hollywood. This fabulous essence features notes of sparkling mandarin, gardenia, and vetiver that are suited to a silver screen siren.

Notes:
Mandarin, Gardenia, Vetiver.
Style:
Seductive. Captivating. Luxurious. 

I think maybe what I had originally was the eau de toilette, and what I got the second time was the eau du parfum. Yep- I just checked. That's EXACTLY what it was. okay- super awesome in the parfum- avoid the toilette and go for the real deal. It'll last longer and it smells better. 

No comments: