Thursday, April 1, 2010

Get Nailed

Fingernails......

Well first, you need to start with a good base coat. I've been using Avon's  Nail Experts Tough Enough Base /Top Coat.  

Features

  • Fast Drying Formula
  • Contains titanium to help create maximum protection for stronger, more resilent nails.
  • Provides a protective layer to help condition and nourish weak nails.
  • Formulated with Biovite, and exclusive Avon Complex containing Biotin, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Apricot Kernel Oil, Keratin and Calcium Complex.
  • Free of Formaledhyde and Formulated without Toluene.   
I have read that with regular use, this will strengthen my papery weak nails, but I've only been using it for a few weeks, so we'll have to see. It does extend the wear of polish  by a few days, especially on my toes. It also makes the polish super super shiny. It seems to be discontinued, but lots of people still sell it online, I got mine for about a buck. Not the magic bullet I keep searching for, but not the worst either.

 



I really like that Zoya has an astounding assortment of colors as well as being free of harmful chemicals. They are safe for use by pregnant women and those with chemical sensitivites, which your average brand is not. "Zoya Nail Polish has been awarded as the longest wearing natural nail polish by an independent panel in Women’s Health Magazine. Zoya Nail Polish is a nail polish free of toluene, formaldehyde, DBP (phthalates) and camphor. Nail Polish by Zoya offers over 300 gorgeous nail polish colors to choose from, plus 4 seasonal collections of nail polish every year. Zoya Nail Polish was specifically formulated to deliver the longest wear possible on natural nails." 

The one downside is that you have to have to have to put on a top coat or this will be chipped within a day, or at least on me, anyway. Granted, I am very hard on my nails, as I am constantly shelving and pulling books and typing. I experimented and used a clear top coat on one hand and none on the other and it made a huge difference.  

Another downside is that you must really shake it up well or it will be gloppy and go on thick, which results in smears and crazy long dry time. I recommend giving it a super duper shake up to begin with and then recapping and giving it a few extra before going to the next hand. Make sure you've given yourself plenty of drying time between coats, and remove extra clinging to the brush to avoid gloppiness. If you don't mind taking a little extra time with your nails, Zoya is well worth the extra effort.

I like alternating nails with Zoya's Tangy and Irene. 

A polish that really surprised me was Pierre Balmain. I was unfamiliar with the brand and it was pretty inexpensive, but it applied like a champ. It glided on evenly and dried quickly with no smudges and beautiful glossy color. It lasted almost a week with hardly a touch up needed and I got a ton of compliments on the color (Barely Red). Sadly, I can't seem to find it anymore, but if you happen to run across the brand, know that it's certainly worth it. 



Sinful Colors

is a drugstore brand with some lovely colors. They're obviously trying to bring OPI to mind with their bottles. Unfortunately they don't last as well as OPI, but they're good for a cheapie and they're really well pigmented. They are also free of toluene, formaldehyde, DBP (phthalates) and camphor. I'm wearing the burgundy apple right now (the color on the far right) and have gotten tons of compliments on the color. It's very high shine and goes on smoothly, but if you don't put on a top coat as soon as your color dries, it will chip at the tips really quickly.  


Something that really surprised me with it's fabulosity was Broadway Nails Fashion Diva Nail Art. They're available at most drugstores (Walgreens has them online) and they are cheap ($1.99!). I had someone ask me how hard it was to paint these designs on! I recommend putting them on when your top coat of color is still a wee bit wet then applying your clear coat over them so they stay on well. These particular ones look incredible over the burgundy apple Sinful Colors, very asian cherry blossom. Really quite a pleasant surprise!

No comments: