Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Good, The bad, and The Ugly

THE GOOD!
 

De-Luxe Rosemary Mint Shampoo & Conditioner

These ARE strongly scented, so if you don't like the smell of mint or rosemary, stay away. For me, rosemary is one of my favorite scents in the world, to the point that if I ever had a daughter, my plan is to name her Rosemary. The scents aren't too much for me because they're real essential oils, not artificial fragrance. 
  • Free of Parabens & SLS/SLES
  • Natural Plant Based Ingredients
  • Pure Essential Oils (No Synthetic Fragrance)
  • No Harsh Preservatives, Biodegradable
  • No Animal Testing - Cruelty Free
  • Recyclable PET Packaging
The effect on your scalp is a refreshing cooling, tingling sensation. Safe for color treated hair and supposedly works on all hair types (I have oily hair and it works great on mine, I've heard mixed reviews on dry hair). I like that it's a spa quality brand that you can buy at big box stores like Sams. To see an example of what it does on my hair, see my You Tube video where I pretty much just stroking and playing with my hair without even realizing it until I watched the video back. It made my hair SOOOOOOO baby soft that I couldn't keep my hands off of myself!


THE BAD :-(
Ascorderm Restore Eye Cream
Ascorderm Restore Eye Cream
According to Dermstore:
What it is:
A smoothing, wrinkle-fighting eye cream with L-ascorbic acid. 

What it's used for:
Ascorderm Restore Eye Cream is powered by a pure form of vitamin C, L-ascorbic acid, to smooth and soften the delicate skin around your eyes. This gentle formula diminishes fine lines, wrinkles and uneven skin tone over time, to give you a noticeably younger eye area.


Well vitamin C IS pretty much of a miracle in fighting sun damage, for sure, so I was excited for this product. Unfortunately, the texture blew it for me. Normally I like gel creams, but this one doesn't dry to a soft texture like the others I've used, this dries (or sorta doesn't!) into a sticky layer that you can feel hours later. one of my pairs of glasses rests directly on my temples and they felt stuck to my face all day like I had tape residue on my skin. The directions say to apply liberally, so I thought mayhaps I was applying TOO liberally, so I cut back on the amount I used. DID NOT fix the problem. The stuff was fifty bucks, so I'm not throwing it away or anything, but now I only use it at night for it's corrective effects and so it doesn't irritate the crap out of me all day. PLease note, this is not a commentary on the efficacy of the product, just why I'll never buy it again. I just can't get over the sticky.


TRY THESE INSTEAD: Dermalogica
Their eye creams are THE BOMB. The Total Eye Care is perfect for daytime use because it has SPF AND it's lightly tinted to even out the skin tone in the eye area, perfect if you have circles or undereye discoloration. I've been using this every morning for a little over a month and love the difference it's made. (And doesn't feel like I just pulled duct tape off of my skin!) 


I used the Intensive Eye Repair during the winter when artificial heat dries out my skin. I noticed my eye area looking a little dehydrated and crepey until I started using this at night. I woke up with my eye area firm and bright with that "good night's sleep" glow. This one has the coveted vitamin c, too!


Both of these are also very concentrated so they'll last you a really long time. 
Total Eye Care SPF15
Total Eye Care SPF15
A tinted cream to retexturize, protect and refresh your vulnerable eye area during the day, with SPF15.





Intensive Eye Repair
Intensive Eye Repair
An ultra-rich cream, fortified with antioxidant Vitamin C and phytonutrient Wild Yam, helps repair prematurely-aging skin and smooth fine dehydration lines.






If you do your shopping strictly at chain or big box stores, I recommend the Olay Regenerist Eye Derma Pod
Olay Regenerist Eye Derma-pod Anti-Aging Triple Response System
You can get about 2 uses out of each pod and the slight massaging effect of the application helps to break up the congestion that causes puffiness. Not the instant miracle that the Dermalogica creams are, but pretty good for a drugstore brand. Increases circulation to the eye area and gives a refreshed feeling. The major downside is the wasteful packaging. On one hand it is hygenic and great for travel, but on the other hand this is NOT the product for any eco warriors out there! I felt horrible pangs of guilt every time I tossed one in the trash.


THE UGLY!

METAL SHAVING CREAM CANS!!!!!!
WHY WHY WHY? How many bath tubs and sinks have to be ruined by a rust ring on the edge? At what point does someone say "hey, I know! Let's put a coating on the bottom so we quit effin up people's bathrooms!" ?  How hard can this be to figure out? I imagine the people who make CLR are part of a secret lobby to keep the big body care manufacturers in metal cans. Well Procter & Gamble can bite me, cause guess what I've discovered?
Pomegranate Raspberry Shave
Hear that? It's the clouds parting and the angels singing! It comes in a number of different scents, I have the pomegranate raspberry, which smells WONDERFUL.

Also


  •  lavender jasmine




  •  vanilla bliss




  •  sensitive - fragrance free




  • It's so amazingly moisturizing that I don't even have to use lotion on my legs afterwards and you can even shave DRY LEGS with it! It's non foaming so it's easy to shave off without a lot of waste and excess. And best of all, NO METAL CAN! (plus the bottle has little finger grips so you don't drop it with slippery hands- a massive bonus for me since I literally almost broke a toe one time dropping a shaving cream can on my toe in the shower!) PLUS it's available at the drugstore, grocery store and the big boxes! YAY!
    Eos Shave Cream

    Eos Shave Cream

    The Evolution Of Smooth. This Non-Foaming Cream Boosts Skin's Moisture Level And Keeps It Smooth Long After You're Done Shaving. It's So Moisturizing You Can Shave Wet Or Dry. It Provides A Closer Shave, Even Helping To Prevent Those Little Razor Bumps. It’S Made With Natural Aloe, Oat, Shea Butter, And Antioxidant Vitamins E And C To Leave Skin Looking Radiantly Healthy. Ultra Moisturizing Paraben-Free Not Tested On Animals No Animal By-Products Made In Canada Personal Care , Shaving & Grooming , Shave Creams & Gels , Shave Cream & Gel For Ladies









    No comments: