Tuesday, June 29, 2010

let's get gussied up today, shall we?

Weeeeeeellllll, maybe it doesn't quite count as gussying up. I'm wearing a tan tshirt cut dress with sandals today, so I went for a more natural look.

I started out my day by washing my face with Origins Checks & Balances Frothy Face Wash. This cleanser is great for combo skin, as it doesn't strip your dry spots but effectively removes excess oil from your t-zone, leaving your face feeling clean but not 'tight'. A little goes a long way, as this IS very foamy. It's ophtamologist tested, so if you get any in your eyes you won't go blind. I prefer this one in the summer since it's such a balancing cleanser.


Checks and Balances™ Frothy face wash

When it comes to faces with dry and oily places, it takes a clever cleanser to balance the two. This gentle, frothy face wash carefully does both jobs without canceling each other out. Broad Leaf Kelp Extract discourages excess oil production, while Wheat Protein balances and protects dry prone zones. And Tourmaline actually makes water wetter to more easily disperse dirt and sebum down the drain. There’s also aromatic Bergamot, Spearmint and Lavender to add pleasure to the process. Skin feels comfortably refreshed after cleansing, never tight, pulled or parched.

Then I apply Cures By Avance Age Defyer Eye Cream. I got this from a previous BeautyFix kit and immediately fell in love. After cleansing your face, you apply this just under the eyes to brow bone, and no matter how tired, puffy or baggy my eyes looked (or felt) the difference is immediately noticeable. A tidge goes a long way, so despite the scary price tag, it lasts eons.

Available at Dermstore

DermStore Deal of the Week


Then it's time for Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refresher. Particularly in the summer, my skin gets oiler and my pores look like inner city potholes. A teeny bit of this makes my pores disappear so my foundation or tinted moisturizer doesn't sink into my pores for the 'peachhead' effect. It also keeps my skin from getting oily longer and gives a bright, refreshed feeling. Your skin looks and feels like silk, and with this, I can happily use nothing more than a tinted moisturizer and look fabu.




What the awesome prep work does is allow me to use something light on my face to make everything all smooth and even toned without the official Texas Spackle Face. Nothing is more hideous in the summer than seeing someone's face slide off! I also need SPF though, because I'm combustible. I have been loving Dr Dennis Gross MD Skincare All-In-One Tinted Moisturizer! I got this from my Skincare RX Beauty Cache and will be sad to see it all used up! It has medical grade ingredients and provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. it blends beautifully without the streakiness that a lot of cheap tinted moisturizers have. You look just like yourself but better (like a personal airbrush!) It doesn't have a stinky sunblock smell, either.
It's even available in 6 shades to suit everyone!

DermStore Deal of the Week

So now the basics are out of the way, but first I gotta make sure I don't stank. I received a sample of Secret Clinical Strength to try out, and had mixed results. I did put it to the test by standing outside as Pam The Dairy Cow made a visit to the kids at my library and I stood outside for almost an hour. Upon checking, i really didn't shed a DROP of sweat. The weird thing was, that it doesn't seem to affect SMELL, so at the end of the day, I'm dry as a bone but have more pit aroma than using my Evan's Garden all natural powder deoderant (see a previous entry for my rave review.) What's the point if you still smell? That ain't right.















So since I was going for a lighter look today, I pulled out my Signature Club A Caviar Super Hold Eye/Cheek Color. This is a multipurpose cream stick that is a neutral beige that can be used on eyes or cheeks and blends beautifully. I highly recommend using an eye primer with it though to avoid the massive creasing common to cream shadows. I used my Laura Geller Eye Spackle to hold it in place and to also add a bit of highlight in my tear duct area. It's a subtle blendable color that adds depth to the eyes and can be applied with a light or heavy hand, depending on your druthers. This brand is generally available from HSN, where they run constant specials on the caviar kits. (They currently have a HUGE kit available including this for $39.95 with a retail value over a hundred bucks.)

Now, I can only do subtle to a certain point. I had to have some POP somewhere! That's where Loreal Endless Lipstick in Crimson Joy comes in. I have NEVER worn this color without getting stopped by people to ask what I'm wearing. A woman at my work assumed it was MAC and was astounded that I bought it at the grocery store! It is TRULY endless wear, I can put this on at the beginning of a night out and hours and hours of appalling rebellious behaviour later- my lipstick looks as fresh as a field of daisies. And it doesn't dry out your lips! This stuff is INCREDIBLE! It's also a perfect red for those with cool skin tones. It doesn't make your teeth look yellow, and it has enough blue in it to look classy, not slutty. LOVE IT!

New Endless comfortable 8-hour lipcolour
Can a lipcolour last 8 hours without torturing your lips?  Now it can, in one perfect stick.
  • For the first time, anti-fading colour and lip-saving care are combined in L'Oreal's patented Soft-Seal™ technology.
  • Unlike traditional long-wearing lipcolour that leaves lips dry, Endless keeps lips soft and supple.
  • One stick.  Zero touch-ups.  24 shades.
  • Up to 8 hours of comfortable stay-true colour.

And lastly, for my smelly fou-fou. I have been carrying around this tube of Jento Soaps Scent Stick in Rose Petal that I got thanks to Sampler Village.And they're CHEAP! Like a BUCK FIDDY! It has natural ingredients and smells SOOOOO much like real roses. It's not an overwhelming old lady scent, either- it's subtle and slightly head turning. I see people walk by me and look around confusedly as to where the roses are. It doesn't last forever, but because it's a solid stick, you can carry it with for easy reapplication throughout the day without worrying about it spilling in your purse (lost one of my favorite perfumes that way and came VERY close to tears.)

So there you go, my pretty pretties!

No comments: