Monday, August 2, 2010

Sorry that I've been violentally ill!


I haven't made any new posts in the last week, as I've been a wink and a prayer from hospitalization- but it's been decided that I will live to see another day and my constant begging for death was for naught ;-)

SO first of all- THANK YOU to SBS teas for being one of the few things that kept my stomach settled (and quite possibly the only nutrition I absorbed in the space of a week). Oh, the green tea with chamomile saved my tummy! Their Mega Bag Blowout is an awesome way to try out a bunch of different flavors and styles and is INSANELY cheap. Right now they also are having their sachet teas for 15% off. (I keep a bunch of the Earl Grey de la Creme sachets in my drawer at work.)


Another thing that helped me out today was Sunsilk De-Frizz Leave In Cream. After not leaving bed for almost a full straight week, my hair looked like baby squirrels had been burrowing in it. It took ages to get all the knots and snarls out of my butt length hair, but you'd never know it. I used a dab of this and my hair looks smooth and shiny and not at all like it had been in a spontaneous beehive. A great thing about this stuff is that my baby fine hair was not flattened down or made limp, but actually seemed to have MORE body than usual- though that could have been residual squirrel babies.....













3 things that really helped lift my spirits during Barfapalooza was, believe it or not, fragrances. Simple subtle scents that truly made me feel a little less grody. I was spraying them in my hair and on my pillow to help me at least pretend that I wasn't completely disgusting.

I have always ADORED Demeter fragrances. They're like the Jelly Bellies of perfume. Things that you would think that there was no way that an attractive fragrance could be made using the scent gets turned on it's head. One of my all time favorites is Demeter's Tomato Pick-Me-Up cologne spray. To me it smells like a tomato plant that's been sun drenched and the stems are bright green and fuzzy and completely weighed down with deep red, juicy hot tomatoes. It smells like summer and life bursting forth and makes me near giddy. I just wished Demeter scents lasted longer, but if they did the scent would most likely have to be too overpowering to be as pleasant and soothing as it is.














Another spirit lifter was Clean Perfumes Simply Soap. I think you could put this on a hobo and they'd smell like they'd just has a long soak in the tub (hmmmmmm......maybe someone could suggest this instead of patchouli to hippies?) It's another one of those subtle scents that you will need to reapply at some point during the day, but I don't mind as it's so fabu! This is a particularly good scent for those who work in close quarters with others and aren't supposed to wear heavy fragrance to work. They have it available at ULTA Beauty where right now they have an AWESOME FREEBIE DEAL!
FREE 15-piece ULTA Gift w/ any $17.50 purchase of ULTA Cosmetics, ULTA Minerals, ULTA BEAUTY Tools, or ULTA Implements
 PLUS- you can get $3.50 off your purchase with this coupon link, which pretty much covers your shipping.
$3.50 off any $10 Purchase* - use code 42185 (8/1-8/7)

Another lifesaving pick me up was Avon's aromatherapy Refreshing Mint. It's perky and fresh and makes you feel like a York Peppermint Patty commercial. Strangely, when I had my head in the toilet, this scent calmed my nerves and my stomach.  Unfortunately, just like all of my favorite Avon products, it too is discontinued. But, again like all of my favorite Avon products it's all OVER Ebay. It comes in a metal bottle with a sprotzer top, which seems to keep the scent perfectly preserved, so I wouldn't have any reservations about buying it as long as it's an unused bottle. The metal seems to provide great protection against scent deterioration.
When I finally did drag myself out of bed today, I was so very grateful for my Almond Butter Vanilla Soap from Eugene Oregon's Simple Soaps. It's lightly scented so that it doesn't battle for dominance and is nicely unisex. It's gentle enough to be used on your face and has a lovely exfoliating effect. I could feel it sloughing off all of the funk and I felt like a new person! I'm surprised that there wasn't a ring around the tub like I'd just given the dog a bath when I was done!

I've mentioned them before and pointed out their awesome sampler sets. Their guest soap samplers are an incredibly cheap three bucks and would make an awesome gift or simply set out to make your guests feel pampered (my mother-in-law loved the bar I put down in the guest bathroom.) They have great Etsy feedback, so give 'em a shot- you won't be disappointed.

SO since I came back to work today, I didn't want to look like the 'back from the dead' person that I feel like. Before my tinted moisturizer (I've found that if you try to overconceal with a heavy foundation when you're ill, you simply look like you're wearing a spackle death mask) I applied Skinceuticals Phloretin CF. This amazing serum is a broad range antioxidant treatment that evens out your skin and brightens your entire complexion. It's takes dull, dingy skin and and brings it back to life. Don't just take my word for it- it won Allure Magazine's Editor's Choice Award.

about the product
Support the strength of your skin with SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF. It combines potent antioxidant power with cellular renewal and collagen synthesis for a younger-looking and brighter face. The lightweight serum conquers damage without irritating your skin in the process.
1 fl. oz.
who it's for
Ideal for those with sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation who want even-toned, smooth, and soothed skin.
key ingredients
Phloretin inhibits age spots and elastin-loss and is also anti-inflammatory. Ferulic Acid fights free radicals and reduces oxidative stress when coupled with Vitamin C. Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) increases collagen production and lightens and brightens the skin.
Available at Skincare RX

SkinCareRx.com (Free Shipping)



Lastly, I applied Kinerase Intensive Eye Cream, since my eyes were puffy crinkly and exhausted. Featured in Redbook, this concetrated eye cream absorbs quickly and gives your eyes an instant boost. It's so soothing, it made my eyes feel instantly better. 

about the product
Dry, scaly skin shouldn't appear anywhere on your face or body, but definitely not around your eyes. Keep the delicate skin firm and plump with the use of Kinerase Intensive Eye Cream. The potent antioxidant moisturizer, Kinetin, replaces lost moisture as it smooths the skin.
0.7 fl. oz.
who it's for
Dry, aging skin with fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area will be soothed and hydrated with this rich cream.
key ingredients
Kinetin improves skin tone and texture while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Citric Acid acts as an antioxidant. Aloe uses its soothing properties to calm the skin.
 Also available at Skincare RX. 

When I came in today, I had a co-worker that said I somehow manage to be the best looking sick person she's ever met! I wish I could say it's good genes, but  you and I know that I get a little help from my friends!

No comments: