Saturday, May 1, 2010

I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair

Sunsilk De-Frizz Shampoo, Conditioner, 24/7 Creme
 As much as I abhored their volumizing line (in a previous review) I actually liked this one. I do not have curls, but in the winter I DO have frizz from static electricity, so I gave these a go to see if they'd help and they did! I originally got these for the husband because he's got an Italian 'fro, but he's so slavishly devoted to his Aussie shampoo & Mane and Tail that I can't get him to use anything else. Rather than let them go to waste, I used them and was pleasantly suprised. It's super moisturizing but not heavy, and it kept the static monster at bay  without making my head all itchy like their other stuff did. The 24/7 Cream was my biggest surprise. I was worried that it would make my hair limp or greasy feeling, but no worries + I was able to brush my hair and it still stayed frizz free! Cool! The oddest thing is that the hair line made for hair like mine was awful, but the one not made for my hair type worked splendidly! Maybe they need to get their developers back in the lab and figure that one out......

TRESemme Salon Formula Hot Oil Treatment
I know tons of people are wary of hot oil treatments, thinking that they'll simply make your hair greezy, but I assure you that that's not the case. I try to do one about once a month, and it makes my hair super soft and shiny and actually INCREASES the body in my fine, flat hair. The hot oil gives deep penetrating moisture to hair that has been damaged by heat, styling, coloring, over brushing or enviromental exposure. I know people who swear by hot oil treatments to extend the life of a dye job. After doing one of these last night, my hair actually has a bit of 'puff' to it. I like the TRESemme brand because the tubes are slightly larger than the average sized ones and I have LOTSOHAIR.

Ulta Ultimate Red Shampoo, Conditioner

I have tried really expensive salon versions of color enhancing shampoos, and I find that the Ulta brand works just as well. If you dye your hair, it will extend the life of your color, and if you just want to pamper your natural color, these bring out highlights and (in the red, anyway) add a bit of sparkle to my hair. Sometimes I like to enhance my natural color by doing a lighter or darker shade of red on top of my hair, and I know that red is the hardest color to keep. Using this will definitely increase the life of your dye job and make your grow out less noticeable. On me, once it starts to fade out you can't really tell because it just goes blends into my natural red (and my greys start saying hello again!) but by observing my grey hairs, I've noticed that using this shampoo regularly adds a bit of color to them and keeps them more blended with my hair.

Ulta is constantly having huge sales on their color shampoo line, so keep your eye out. I got my last bottles buy 2 get 1 free and have shampoo to last for eons. i know that right now they have their color shampoo line at buy one, get one 50% off at www.ulta.com

Organix Hydrating Teatree Mint Shampoo, Conditioner
 I really love this brand. I need to check out their other scents, because I have been using the Teatree Mint for roughly a year now. It's a great price, and a great product. I even converted one of my guy friends to start using it, because his Wal-mart brand shampoo was making his head look a haystack. After a week of using this, he had a completely different head of hair. (Not literally, of course.) After using the shampoo I like to apply the conditioner with a comb and actually get in onto my scalp. I know that normally you're to avoid getting conditioner on your scalp, but this one rinses so well that it doesn't bog my hair down and I adore the tingly sensation. After using this my hair feels super CLEAN. It's an invigorating scent, so save this one for in the mornings when you need a kick in the keister to get you going.

What else is great about this brand? 
Sulfate Free & Paraben Free Formulas • Organic Active Ingredients • Amazing Scents • Safe For Color-Treated Hair • Safe For All Hair Types
...and Organix® bottles are Eco-friendly, manufactured from materials containing recycled post-consumer resin. All labels are printed utilizing 
environmental inks and compostable label film made from annually renewable resource corn, not from petrochemicals.

That right there gets me in my eco-lovin heart. 


L'oreal Vive Pro 2-in-1 Anti-dandruff Shampoo/Conditioner
 A: That price over there is for a CASE of it, not a single bottle.
B: What makes this for men besides the black bottle? I think men feel more hairy chested if it says it's for them so they it doesn't smell like flowers or something.
C: I got this by accident because I didn't notice that it was gender specific when I bought it.
D: It has not made me sprout chest hair as of this writing, and super models in bikinis don't follow me around running their hands through my hair.

Lets face it. It happens to the best of us. DUN DUH DUNNNNNNN!
The evil dandruff. It can happen for many reasons.

What causes dandruff?


The exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown. Most experts do know, though, that it is not caused by poor hygiene.
  • Not enough hair brushing - People who do not comb/brush their hair regularly have a slightly higher risk of having dandruff - this is because they are not aiding the shedding of skin that combing/brushing provides.
  • Yeast - People who are sensitive to yeast have a slightly higher risk of having dandruff, so it is logical to assume that yeast may play a part. Yeast-sensitive people who get dandruff find that it gets better during the warmer months and worse during the winter. UVA light from the sun counteracts the yeast. Some say, though, that during winter the skin is drier because of cold air and overheated rooms (exposure to extreme temperatures), making dandruff more likely. So, it is sometimes not that easy to know whether it is yeast or just dry skin.
  • Dry skin - people with dry skin tend to get dandruff more often. Winter cold air, combined with overheated rooms is a common cause of itchy, flaking skin. People with dandruff caused by dry skin tend to have small flakes of dandruff; the flakes are not oily.
  • Seborrheic dermatitis (irritated, oily skin) - People with seborrheic dermatitis are very prone to dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis affects many areas of the skin, including the backs of the ears, the breastbone, eyebrows, and the sides of the nose, not just the scalp. The patient will have red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales.
  • Not enough shampooing - some people say that if you don't shampoo enough there can be a buildup of oil and dead skin cells, causing dandruff. However, many experts doubt this is true.
  • Certain skin conditions - People with psoriasis, eczema and some other skin disorders tend to get dandruff much more frequently than other people.
  • Some illnesses - Adults with Parkinson's disease and some other neurological illnesses are more prone to having dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Patients recovering from heart attacks and strokes, and some people with weak immune systems may have dandruff more often than other people.
  • Reaction to hair/skin care products - Some people react to some hair care products with a red, itchy, scaling scalp. Many experts say that shampooing too often may cause dandruff as it can irritate the scalp.
  • Malassezia - Malassezia is a fungus that lives on everybody's scalp. Generally, it will cause no problems at all. However, it can grow out of control. It feeds on the oils our hair follicles secrete. When this happens the scalp can become irritated and produces extra skin cells. These extra skin cells die and fall off; they mix with the oil from the hair and scalp, and turn into what we see as dandruff.
  • Diet - Some experts say that people who do not consume enough foods that contain zinc, B vitamins, and some types of fats are more prone to dandruff.
  • Mental stress - Experts believe there is a link between stress and many skin problems.
  • HIV - A study found that 10.6% of people with HIV have seborrheic dermatitis.

Seems to happen to me in the winter when everyone in Texas thinks that you have to make it like the Gobi Desert inside. This proved to be a useful shampoo, and despite being a 2 in 1, is quite effective. I use it on those mornings when I hit the snooze button 6 times and have 93 seconds to take a shower before work. About twice a week seemed to do the trick!










1 comment:

Mom's Best bets said...

Hi you won the origami giveaway!
Please send me an email to redeem it:
momsbestbets at gmail dot com