Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pleats Please? No Thanks.

Pleats please issey miyake edt 600
I had given lots of love to Issey Miyake's A Scent in a previous blog  and so I had high hopes for Pleats Please. Maybe the stupid name should have tipped me off, but lots of scents come saddled with dorky monikers but still make me swoon. I also love the Pleats Please clothing so I thought how could a scent meant to evoke such lovely and happy clothing be anything less than fabu?

The answer- Pleats Please , the fragrance.

The company line:
Pleats Please is a joyful, optimistic and exuberant fragrance of "vertically pleated" flowery, fruity and woody structure signed by perfumer Aurelien Guichard. Its opening splashes with Asian hybrid fruit Nashi, generated by crossing apples and pears (pear flavor is the one that dominates). The heart symbolizes femininity with floral accords of peony and sweet pea, while Indole molecule provides freshness and vigor to the composition. The base is generous with intensive accords of patchouli, cedar, vanilla absolute and white musk.


I don't smell any of that at all. What do I smell? A nail salon full of old ladies. In discussing A Scent before, I mentioned that it smells somewhat synthetic, but not in an unpleasant way. This stuff smells like straight on chemicals. It's aggressively strong when you first spray it on, eye wateringly so. Once it settles down, it turns into a nausea inducing powdery scent. I wore it four or five times to give it a chance and try to really form an opinion, but it never wavered. This stuff makes me go BLECH. 

If you do some looking you'll see that people either REALLY love it or REAAAAAALLLY hate it- I saw almost no middle of the ground opinions on this one. Perhaps it's just that affected by individual body chemistry, who knows? All I know is that I am not asking for a second helping. 

No comments: