Monday, August 1, 2011

Going the heiress route today

Estee Lauder foundations are divine, but to me the best part is all of the factors they take into consideration when helping you choose just the right foundation for you. They have a bunch of different types depending on sheer, medium or full coverage- oily, dry or normal/combo skin- cool, neutral or warm- etc, etc. I recommend going to an EL counter to find the best choice for you. They'll help you narrow it down to your perfect match, but even better, they'll give you a tiny bottle of your pick so you can wear it a day or two and see how it fares in your daily usage.

When shopping for foundation, I recommend:
A. wearing a naked face (gasp! horror! I know, I know....) this way you're not testing your makeup over makeup. You want to see how it's going to look on your skin, not on another layer of base.
B.Don't test it on your hand, it's not the same type of skin and generally not even close to the same color as your  face.
C.Bring a small mirror. just because something looks good in the store doesn't mean it'll work in sunlight. After applying, run outside and see how you look in the harsh light of day.
D. Put a swipe on your jawline to see if you'll get scary foundation mask or if it'll blend in easily.


Too Faced Primed & Poreless is a nude toned primer that sinks into the skin without leaving any hint of shade so it works on all skin tones. This one is formulated specifically to be worn either alone for a fresh, poreless look or with powder foundations to create the illusion of flawless skin. I can use this and then only need to use a bit of concealer here and there (such as on my cheek that's got permanent damage from a bike wreck). Excellent for summer wear since it keeps your face looking fresh and clean all day and isn't the slighest bit heavy, it has a bit of a powdery feel going on and you only need a teeny amount. Too Faced knows their primers!
Available at Ulta, who is currently running this awesome special!

Get a FREE Sample Bag ($45 Value) plus a 3 pc. Bon


Lisa Hoffman Night & Day Vitamin A & C Serum is truly amazing. I'm not sure that words can describe how fabulous this stuff makes your skin feel. I put this on and then stroke my own cheek like it's a kitten. You can see and feel a difference in your skin's texture almost immediately, and after 30 days you'll swear you had some kind of procedure done- your skin is transformed. No joke- this stuff is the bomb. And despite what may seem like a high price tag (about $57) it lasts forever because you use such a tiny bit. It glides right on and absorbs quickly leaving no oily residue, just soft plump velvety skin. I'm also a fan of the sanitary pump style so you don't get ookies in the product.

The official drill "Lisa Hoffman's Vitamin A & C Serum is designed to smooth lines and wrinkles, encourage collagen production and supply antioxidant protection. Vitamins A and C work together to neutralize free radicals and create an extremely soft skin texture. Vitamin C jump starts collagen synthesis for increased firmness and plumpness. Vitamin A helps the skin to combat aging in order to prevent premature skin aging. Vitamin A & C Serum works with your body's natural renewal process to maximize results. The skin is left with the texture of silk, the radiance of health and the appearance of youth.
In clinical studies:



  • 68.97% of participants reported an improvement in skin texture and smoothness after only 15 minutesAfter 30 days of use:






  • 82.76% of participants reported an improvement in skin texture





  • 75.86% of participants reported a healthier appearance




  • 79.3% of participants reported a lessening of deep fine lines and wrinkles"




  • Available at Dermstore. Free Shipping with No Minimums & Free Samples! Dermstore.com - Find Popular Skin Care & Cosmetic Products.



    Ahava Dermud Intensive Nourishing Body Cream is so creamy and soothing, it's unbelievable. Formulated with Dead Sea minerals, this rich nutritive lotion turns the driest, itchiest skin into velvet. Because of medications that I take, my skin is psychotically sun sensitive. I use SPF products daily, but even the exposure I get from being in the car causes my skin to get itchy. Nothing is as much of a luxury as massaging this into my arms and legs when I get home! Theoretically, people use it mostly in the winter, but it's the summer sun that gets me. Therefore- Dermud in der-summer! I've seen reviews on Makeup Alley where folks complained about the scent, but I like it. It's a clean, earthy herbal scent. I simply cannot believe how soft it makes my skin. It even works on my feet! Available at Ulta or directly from Ahava who has Free Shipping on all orders over $75!


    Ren Eye Gel is something I wanted to rave about, but- eh. It's a very light, almost watery texture which I like, but don't expect it to provide much in the way of hydration. This is more to 'wake up' your eyes. It slightly tightens the skin around your eyes and greatly diminishes puffiness. That's wonderful, but what's not so wonderful is that after about a month of use, I developed milia. Since I hadn't changed any other part of my skincare routine and since it was exclusively on my eye area, this could be the only culprit. So sorry, Ren--- into the trash you go....


    Elizabeth Arden Pretty is just what it says- Pretty. It's not going to change your life or stop traffic, it's more of a flowy dress, playing in a field full of flowers with adorable children while the sun lights up your hair....It's a sweet floral that's fairly subtle and doesn't overwhelm the room. Perfect for summer as it's light and breezy. Playful without being too childish. Avoid if you dislike florals, except I will say that the mandarin notes balance out the sweetness. Also available at Ulta.


    Phyto Botanical Hair relaxing balm: I know what you're thinking "but Beauty Pirate! Why do you need a hair relaxing balm? Your hair is straight as a stick!" I know, but if I blow dry my hair, it gets crazy frizzy. What I discovered is that by using this instead of regular hair conditioner on my damp hair and THEN blow drying, my hair comes out looking like a sheet of satin. it makes it crazy soft with no flyaways at all. Excellent in the Texas summer humidity! From what I understand,if you do blowouts on your hair this stuff is a lifesaver. Also available at Ulta.


    Sue Devitt Eye Intensifier Pencil in Ava is a gorgeous metallic plum color that makes your eyes go KAPOW! I previously reviewed the Sue Eye Intensifier pencils here in the Tanzania shade and I have to make Ava my 2nd fave of the colors. I seriously have yet to find a pencil that makes my eyes look so huge as these! These give you lovely doe eyes! Also available at Ulta.

    Get a FREE Sample Bag ($45 Value) plus a 3 pc. Bon

    No comments: