Monday, February 21, 2011

Someone Saved my Life Tonight.....

When I go to my "camping events" - let's call them camping/art events- I always bring a few items that become absolute essentials and draw the attention and/or admiration of many of my fellow campers. A lot of gals like to look lovely without having to drag along the kitchen sink, and things that are portable, easy to use and multifunctional are always popular. Many's the time when we get teased by the less Kitchen-sink-approach fellow campers who are then envious of certain of our goodies. My last trip, these were amongst my most highly coveted possesions....

 I absolutely LOVE Melansol products (available at www.puresunscreen.com) I was first introduced to them by the All Natural Beauty Mall (who by the way often offer terrific beauty samplers!)
MelanSol 100% Natural Antioxidant Moisturizer and MelanSol 100% Natural Antioxidant Sunscreen lotion are both incredibly effective as well as quickly absorbed and with a heavenly herbal scent. The clean herbal smell is appropriate on both men and women. No toxic sunscreen smell here! The moisturizer is incredible for sunburnt or overheated skin- it contains natural antioxidants that neutralize the cancer causing free radicals that your skin absorbs from the sun. I had folks lining up to use both of these products and I'm pretty sure I made some converts since I had people actually ask me to write down the product information for them. While sitting outside camp one afternoon I even had a guy come up to me that I hadn't met who asked if I was the "chick with the awesome sunblock" who wanted to try it out. Quite a testimony!
Colorescience Sunforgettable Powder in Perfectly Clear has got to be one of the best inventions of all time. I am seriously ADDICTED to this stuff. It comes in tons of shades and ranges from matte to downright glittery. The Perfectly Clear is a translucent matte that goes on like a standard powder, but is in actuality an extremely water resistant sunblock. I use the Melansol lotion on my body and then save this (pricey) gem for my face and neck. I have the power of a sunblock without a greasy look or feel and without the sunblock heaviness (and stench!) I spent some serious creek swimming time and emerged unscathed, even after dunking under water multiple times. Available at

SkinCareRx.com (Free Shipping)


Sally Hansen Color Quick pens (silver chrome, purple chrome) are freakin awesome!

 You get these metallic robot nails that seriously look like you painted your nails with car paint. I mean that in a good way! I didn't have time to paint my nails before we left and when I'm camping I like to have them painted so you can't see how gross my nails get without regular running water (gross I know, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do) so I threw these bad boys in my backpack. It's a pen with a built in brush so there's no chance of spillage. You simply click the button on the base to release some polish into the brush and you're good to go! It goes on smooth and with great coverage and dries almost instantly with no smudging. CAVEAT EMPTOR: The thing that makes it dry so super fast also makes it dry out your nails super fast. I do not recommend using this as your regular polish, but rather as an emergency go-to when you need perfect color fast and easy. Unfortunately for me, that's pretty often ;-)

Sephora Nano lip pencil in Royal Rose

goes on smoothly and cleanly and does not feather, even when sweating. A little swipe of this blended into my lips underneath my Cherry City SPF 15 vegan soy lip butter (see previous Cherry City review for more info) gave my lips a beestung hint of color without being too garish. Just enough to keep me feeling purdy. These sharpen easily and cleanly and hold together well- nothing more irritating than lip pencils that crumble every time you use them. Go figure, these are available at Sephora














Jordana Bright Eyes Neon Collection eyeliner (green, yellow, orange)- where have you been all my life?!?!?! And why oh why were they only around at Halloween?!?!?!?! They're my favorite kind of eyeliner, the twisty kind that don't need to be sharpened. And seriously folks, they come out just as freaky neon bright as the tubes themselves! I couldn't stop at lining my eyes- I had to draw little swirlies and stuff because they cried out to be used like face crayons! Come on folks, not everybody saves this stuff for once a year.
(as you can see, I'm not the only one who snatched these up!)

Estee Lauder Projectionist Mascara Black gives great definition without clumps and elongates the lashes without seeming too obvious. It goes on easily and you only need one coat for fabulous lashes. It seems to make the eyes really pop without an overly made up look, yet still gives a lot of length and volume. This will not give you insane falsies lashes like Lancome generally does, but it enhances the natural beauty swimmingly. A 2010 Total Beauty Awards nominee....

Prada Infusion D'Homme
Okay, I know what you're thinking. Why did I take a high end MEN'S cologne camping? Well, I gotta be honest with ya.After a few days out in the woods, people start getting kinda stanky. Instead of holding my breath for 4 days, I subtly applied this to the camp chairs in our area. Yes, I did sneak attack scent distribution. So sue me. Men's cologne has an earthier scent that wasn't as obvious but made the air a little sweeter.....It's a cross between a citrus and a woodsy scent that doesn't overwhelm but has a brisk clean aroma.

Heliocare Capsules- can you say brilliant? This is a sun protection PILL. I wouldn't trust it to be my only means of protection, but it's great to have that extra bit of protection, especially when you're an albino like me. I also take a number of medications that increase my skin's sensitivity to the sun so i can never have enough protection. According to the manufacturer:

Science
Using the unique properties of the main ingredient, Natural Fern Extract, Heliocare increases the body's tolerance to the sun and provides cell protection in the epidermis. As an oral antioxidant, Heliocare will fight off free radicals before damage can be caused to cellular proteins, and protects cells deep in the skin, which topical antioxidants are unable to do. Unlike many oral antioxidants, Heliocare becomes active within 30 minutes after the first dose is taken.

Solutions
This revolutionary new approach to sun protection decreases the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation as well reducing the number of ultraviolet induced sunburn cells and DNA damage.

All I can tell you is that it seems to work- not even a pink nose!
Available at
SkinCareRx.com (Free Shipping)


Degree Classic Romance Body Mist
I do think that their calling it a "Fine Fragrance" might be a stretch, but believe it or not this stuff is pretty nice! It's a body spray in a clean light rose scent that isn't cloying like so many roses are. It's incredibly refreshing, especially how I used it- put it in the ice chest! A little of this ice cold sprayed on the back of the neck and you become human again. Julie Ann is made out of people!


Yves Rocher Lavender Icy Gel Foot massage is another life saver out of the cooler- folks clamored to borrow this and I actually went through the whole thing! Nothing like watching macho boys rubbing french lavender on their feet :-) This cooling gel that soothes on contact has peppermint essential oil in it to refresh and invigorate. Oy, it's air conditioning in a bottle! I love that Yves Rocher grows their own herbs and has been creating aromatherapeutic botanical products for over fifty years. They're really cheap and give you great free gifts too! Available at

Yves Rocher Creator of Botanical Beauty


And last but most certainly not least, for all my lip and eye needs I brought these palettes with me.
bh Cosmetics 66 color lips gloss palette, 120 eyeshadow palette, 1st edition

These are super slim and as you can see, have nine million gazillion colors. The eye shadow set has two trays stacked one on the other. And remember what I said about so many companies shying away from the wacky colors? What can I say other than  three shades of blue lipstick? The colors you see in the pan are exactly the colors that come out on application. NO JOKE. These are psychotically pigmented! RED EYESHADOW FOLKS! Sheer madness. Obviously these are not for the faint of heart :-)A

No comments: