Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cooking Light Selects Crave Box (sad face!)



Crave Box was so rad!
I only paid $13 for all this! Too bad they went the way of the dodo, but here's my thoughts on the products themselves.


  • Perfect Pinch Salt Free Garlic & Herb Seasoning from McCormick (2 bottles) Turn up the flavor without adding salt with this bold blend of garlic, Italian herbs, red pepper and paprika. This stuff is seriously awesome and you can put it on almost literally anything. I tend to be a salt addict, but with this, I don't even miss it. We go through this in my house like water. From meats to veggies to eggs- it does it all. If I'm in a rush, you can take some meat and coat it in olive oil then sprinkle this all over and throw in the oven. It actually winds up tasted like you TRIED
  • Nectresse 100% Natural No-Calorie Sweetener  NECTRESSE™ Sweetener tastes like sugar and is naturally zero calories per serving. How? We started with the deliciously
    sweet extract of monk fruit and combined it with the perfect
    blend of other natural sweeteners. It's 100% natural with
    nothing artificial.   So for reals, I have no idea how they do it, but this actually tastes good! Normally artificial sweeteners gross me out because they taste so much like chemicals that I don't even see the point. I was really surprised by this stuff, though. No bitterness and adds just the right amount of sweetness to my cuppa tea. I now keep a box of this in the bedroom with my tea and electric kettle for my nightly tea fix. 
French Roast
  • Tully’s French Roast Coffee Tully’s most popular roast. Powerful and intense with a smoky, decadent finish. It's the ultimate expression of European coffee. This is a really great coffee! My hubby is a french roast fiend and I had to practically hide this from him. And he used to work in a coffee house, so he knows of what he speaks. I like that you get a good strong taste without the bitterness, stomach acid and bad breath of so many strong coffees. A+

  • Dole Fruit Crisps (Apple Pear, Peach, and Apple Cinnamon) DOLE Fruit Crisps are satisfying bowls of juicy DOLE fruit in a fruit sauce, each with its own crispy, crumbly topping made with whole grain oats and brown sugar. When you are ready to enjoy, simply peel back the lid and sprinkle the topping over the fruit! These seem to have an artificial sweetener in the fruit syrup, so to me at room temperature they taste too fakey. Oddy, heated up, they taste just fine. Maybe heating brings out the sweetness more? I would LOVE to see these in an unsweetened version that just tastes like full on fruit. I do however love these for camping.

  • Torani Syrup in Sugar Free Salted Caramel First comes the sweet and then comes the salty. Then you welcome the news of Splenda® making this a sugar free syrup. Rich, buttery caramel kicks things off. And just when you thought that was it, a touch of saltiness appears – and the ride continues. Hop on and enjoy the sugar-free adventure. So yeah, I know what I said about artificial sweeteners, but I'll make an exception here. Maybe since coffee has some bitterness anyway, it masks any artificial sweetener bitterness. All I know is that this stuff is pretty damn good. It doesn't take much to get a nice flavor and you really can taste the caramel and the salt. I became enough of a fan of this that I bought another bottle in this flavor and one in the french vanilla sugar free. 
Also included:
  • One digital tablet-edition of the Cooking Light 25th Anniversary Issue (code to use to redeem)
  • Miscellaneous coupons, recipes, a cooking measurement magnet, etc.
So you can see why I'm bummed that Crave Box tanked, right? Sigh...... More fish in the subscription sea though. 

No comments: