Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Snowflakes Keep Fallin' From My Head......

Yes, I get dandruff. I have come out of the closet! Seriously, why do people get so freaked out about it?

According to Wikipedia, approximately HALF of the human population has had it at one time or another.


Dandruff is sometimes caused by frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold.  Well guess who has that happen every day of the year? Yeah- me. When it's 120 degrees outside, every place in Texas is air conditioned to be 20 inside. And in the winter, vice versa. Apparently in Texas, the idea of moderate temperatures is anathema. 


For people with dandruff, skin cells may mature and be shed in 2–7 days, as opposed to around a month in people without dandruff.
WOW! That's a HUGE difference! Don't know if it's related, but my hair also grows freakishly fast. 


 hot water can exacerbate dandruff or itching. Using slightly cooler water (not cold) during regular hair washing and rinsing has been found to reduce dandruff in some individuals.
Ooopsie! Doesn't almost everyone use hot water in the shower? 


So now what to do? Well, I can tell you that 
Philip B Anti Flake Relief Shampoo did nothing  for me. It had rave reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try, but nyet. Oh, and it's THIRTY FIVE dollars a bottle. If it worked, I'd lump it, but it not only did nothing for me, it also REEKS. It's made with coal tar, so I smelled like my grandpa. I read a review that said the smell rinses out. I call BS on that- I could still smell it after my hair was dry. 


Now leave it to me to find a shampoo that works WONDERFULLY but takes some searching to find (you CAN often find it on Amazon). Homocrin Natural Rebalancing Shampoo is great. It uses things like milk enzymes and coconut oil to rebalance your scalps protective acid mantle. The first few times I used it, I freaked out because it seemed like it actually made it worse, but I quickly realized that it's like when you use something to deep clean your pores and then break out before having gorgeous skin. It looks watery, so the first few times I wound up using too much- it's actually fairly concentrated. You HAVE to follow the directions and leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing. Worth searching out. 


I've also previously reviewed Matrix Biolage Anti Dandruff conditioner (which is awesome) in a previous blog entry, The Beauty Pirate: Bloom Circle Bounty

So hold your head up high! You are not alone, it's not as gross as it seems, and with research and patience it can be taken care of. In the words of the immortal Sufi proverb, This Too Shall Pass. 

No comments: